Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 26 Mar 11 at 21:01 PM

Bees 2 Spireites 2

Chesterfield made one change going into the game at Barnet, who were pushed to the bottom of the League Two table by the day's earlier results. As might have been predicted, Jack Lester saw the game start from the bench, while his place in the side that thrashed Rotherham eight days ago was taken by Kieran Djilali. Barnet's two deadline-day signings made starts but midfielder Anthony Pulis was forced out by an injury in the warm-up.

Chesterfield expected to face an early, "Mad Dog" inspired, Barnet storm and the Bees obliged with a frenetic start, but the visitors went down the hill to win the game's first corner on 2, which Allott took and Jarvis thumped away. Lee had to scramble to gather on 3 as the wind-influenced ball was pumped into the Spireites' box.

Dean Holden turned the ball behind for Barnet's first corner, on 5. The ball was knocked down and Devera fired goalwards, but a clearance was made as the crowd called for handball.

Smalley moved up front alongside Davies after 12 minutes, and Walker was forced down to save from the club's leading scorer. Talbot was tackled unfairly from behind on 16 but play continued. Sterling marshalled the ball out after a spell of pressure from the visitors began with some Morgan trickery.

Smalley ran onto a through ball and Kamdjo tried to cut him off, but he worked the ball to Davies, whose first shot was blocked; the ball came back to Davies and he worked the ball across to the advancing DEANE SMALLEY, who converted to give Chesterfield the lead, on 21.

Barnet pushed forward in search of an equaliser but that left breaking opportunities for Chesterfield's pacy frontmen. A McLeod shot was deflected wide for a goal kick on 26. A Marshall cross was headed up by Robertson, who completed the clearance to set Morgan going forward.

Chesterfield enjoyed a period of broad control over the game that was only interrupted when Barnet went route one to Marshall on 34; Holden erred to let Marshall in but recovered to put him off for long enough to let Gregor Robertson come back and clear. The key to Chesterfield's comparative comfort was their ability to keep possession.

Craig Davies got onto Lee's kick to create an opportunity for Dean Morgan with a "route one" flick of his own on 37, but the entertaining midfielder put his shot wide when well-placed to score. Marshall conceded a free kick for handball before his cross was tapped into the Chesterfield net on 41.

Djilali won a corner late in the half and Whitaker's kick found Holden at the back post, but the defender - who has two headed goals to his credit this season - guided his effort over. A Sterling long throw saw Lee claim the ball as it was flicked on.

Halftime: Barnet 0 Chesterfield 1.

Barnet's Sam Deering came on for Tommy Fraser as the second half commenced. Within 30 seconds of the restart, Chesterfield extended their lead, when CRAIG DAVIES took a knockdown from a Whitaker ball and lifted the ball over the Barnet keeper in fine style to score his 23rd goal of the season.

Smalley showed his commitment by running back from the edge of the opponents' "D" to bolster the defence on 48. Deering was fouled on 49 but when Djilali tried to bring the ball clear, he was fouled in turn. Djilali tormented the Barnet rearguard on 51 and Jordan Parkes decided that he'd seen enough, ending the run with an agricultural swipe at the winger's legs.

Barnet pulled a goal back with a 20-Yard drive from Deering on 52. Marshall was brought down on the edge of the "D" by Mark Allott on 55. Jarvis chipped over the wall but over the bar, too. Davies went in late on a Barnet man on 57 and Kabba, whose rash tackle at the B2Net resulted in Davies getting sent off in August, ran some distance to get involved before having a pop at Chesterfield's bench. After order was restored Davies was booked for the foul, and the substituted Fraser - the grandson of celebrity gangster "Mad Frankie" Fraser - was booked for continuing the argument with John Sheridan on the sidelines. Of course, this was meat and drink to a Barnet management that wanted their side fired up.

Kabba shot wide on 65. Jarvis tried to set up Kamdjo with a looping header across the box on 66 but Lee was alert and snuffed out the danger. McLeod shot tamely at Lee as Barnet kept the pressure up.

Chesterfield made a substitution on 68, Dwayne Mattis coming on for Kieran Djilali. Mattis went into central midfield as Whitaker moved wide left. Barnet announced an intention to go for the game by bringing Jack Midson, a forward on loan from Oxford, on to replace Rossi Jarvis after 73 minutes.

Midson gave Holden a whack on the head with his arm on 75. Chesterfield defended solidly but conceded a corner after a scramble in the box on 80. To everyone's relief, Kamdjo's flag kick went straight out for a goal kick. Robertson conceded another corner with a "safety first" clearance on 83; Allott headed Deering's kick out for another corner; Midson kept the ball in play after it was cleared but Kabba sent a header wide. Jack Lester came on for his 500th Football League appearance after 85 minutes, replacing Dean Morgan. Jack went up front, of course, allowing Smalley to bolster the right-hand side of midfield. Barnet brought Charlie Stimson on for Cox on 86.

Chesterfield raced forward with Davies on 87 and he found Lester, who worked it to Whitaker via Smalley, but Whit's shot was gathered by Walker in the Barnet goal. Lester did well to shrug Kabba off and set up Davies on 88 but the Welsh international put his shot wide after two defenders collided with eachother to let him in. Sam Deering was booked for an attempted foul early in the move.

Lee was forced into a fine save to deny Stimson on 89. Barnet won another corner and there were calls for handball against Smalley, but the ball went out for a throw. The fourth official announced seven minutes of added time!

An extraordinary goal gave Barnet a share of the points in injury time. Deering poked a cross along the goal line; Lee appeared to think the ball was going wide and left it, but the ball crept into the net for the equalising goal. Barnet pushed on with two minutes of added time remaining. A Sterling shot caused a melee inside the Chesterfield box but a foul on Lee brought the incident - and the game - to a close.

    Latest Match Reports