Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 05 Mar 11 at 17:03 PM

Robins 0 Spireites 3

Chesterfield manager John Sheridan rested Jack Lester to the bench for the trip to Cheltenham. Kieran Djilali returned to the starting line-up, while Mark Allott made it back to the sub's bench after missing the last four games. To begin with, Smalley and Djilali lined up on the sides of midfield, with Morgan joining Davies up front.

An early foul on Smalley gave Whitaker a chance to put a free kick into the box but the ball was cleared. Cheltenham went up the other end and forced the game's first corner, off Holden. Talbot headed the cross clear and Djilali followed up to volley the ball away. Talbot showed the defensive side to his game again on 4, preventing Thompson from capitalising on a Holden slip.

Robertson cut a cross out for another corner on 5, as the home side pressed early. Holden headed it clear from the back post. Chesterfield won their first corner after Davies beat Elliott and crossed for Morgan, before goalkeeper Brown put the ball out. A free header for Holden from a Whitaker cross on 9 was put wide. Djilali's attempt to find Davies with a through ball was a little too heavy, and Brown came out to gather.

Two corners in quick succession caused consternation; Niven cleared the first off the line and Lee saved the second. Thompson slipped with a great chance in front of him on 15 and Whitaker got the ball away for another Robins corner. Morgan and Davies counter-attacked and found Niven, who forced a good save from Brown on an acute angle. Chesterfield won another corner on 17 and Elliott put it out for the Spireites' fourth corner. Davies looked to get onto it but Elliott just got in first.

Smalley ran down the right and put a fine ball over to Davies, who headed goalwards on 20, but Brown was perfectly positioned to take the ball. Niven had another shot at goal from the edge of the box on 22 but Brown was again well-placed to claim it.

Morgan forced Brown into a save from around 30 yards on 23. From the corner, Whitaker's cross was headed down by Smalley, but cleared; the ball came to Djilali, whose powerful shot flew narrowly wide. Morgan won the visitors' sixth corner, on 27; Whitaker's delivery to the near post was headed away to Niven, who found Davies, but his cross was cleared.

Cheltenham won a corner on 31 after Roberson read impending danger well, and cleared. Lee gathered with ease. Djilali broke, beat a man and crossed, but the ball was just too high for Morgan.

CRAIG DAVIES gave Chesterfield the lead on 34 after Eastham slipped on the mud in the centre of the pitch. The Chesterfield man bore down on goal with the ball, waited for Brown to commit and found the net with aplomb. Almost from the kick-off, the visitors came up again; Davies tried a volley and Brown was forced into saving at the expense of a corner.

Robertson cleared from Goulding as Cheltenham tried to fashion an equaliser on 37. Lee collected a late free kick and set Djilali free but his cross went astray; the ball came to Davies and he shot at Brown as the half came to a close.

Halftime: Cheltenham Town 0 Chesterfield 1. Attendance:2,870(488 from Chesterfield.)

Chesterfield extended their lead in the second minute of the second half. Davies' perseverance got the better of Elliott down the right-hand side, and he weighted a fine pass into the path of KIERON DJILALI, who steered the ball home firmly and in fine style to make it 2-0. Davies almost netted his second on 50 after Morgan beat two men down the right, and crossed; Davies stretched for a decisive touch but could only get a toe on it.

Cheltenham brought on a substitute after 52, when Elito replaced Thompson. Djilali won the ball and beat two men before firing a shot that Brown held, on 56. With no sign of the home side puncturing the visitors' dominance, Cheltenham brought Brian Smikleon for Goulding after 57 minutes. Wesley Thomas cut in and shot on the hour, but Holden blocked well.

Chesterfield broke from a brief spell of post-substitution home pressure; Djilali and Morgan combined well and won a corner, which Pook cleared. Morgan played Djilali in but the Palace loanee volleyed wide under pressure.

Marlon Pack, the Portsmouth loanee who looked their best player at the B2Net this season, came on for Lewis after 64 minutes. He was welcomed into the game by a clattering tackle from Djilali, but Cheltenham won a corner from the attack. Eastham could only head the kick up into the air, and out for a Chesterfield goal kick.

Smalley might have made it three after Davies beat a man and laid it across the six yard box, but the angle was too acute for a goalbound attempt.

Cheltenham plugged away, but were unable to make much impression, going into the last ten minutes. Chesterfield made their first substitution on 80, with Scott Boden coming on for Kieran Djilali.

Robertson brought Smikle down on the edge of the box on 82, earning the game's first yellow card. Andrew's free kick was headed across the face of the goal, but no Cheltenham man could get a decisive touch, and the danger passed. Thomas headed Smikle's cross onto the top of the bar and over on 85.

CRAIG DAVIES wrapped the game up with his twentieth goal of the season, on 86. He took the ball on a solo run before drawing the keeper and firing home. Mark Allott came on for Morgan before Cheltenham kicked off again, and Jamie Lowry came on for Niven in the last minute of the regulation 90. Three minutes of added time was safely negotiated to preserve The Spireites' remarkable record of never having conceded a goal in five visits to Cheltenham.

Result: Cheltenham Town 0, Chesterfield 3.


    Latest Match Reports