Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 19 Feb 11 at 17:01 PM

Imps 0 Spireites 2

The match against Lincoln at Sincil Bank was the 100th Football League meeting between teams from the city and Chesterfield. The Spireites' Manager John Sheridan made forced and tactical changes to the side that came back from Gigg Lane with a point. Scott Boden came in for his first start of the season to replace the suspended Deane Smalley. Ian Breckin came in for Javan Vidal, with Dean Holden moving out to right-back. In midfield, Danny Whitaker moved on to the bench, making room for the return of Drew Talbot; Mark Allott was absent, which allowed Derek Niven to come in for his 250th Football League start in the Spireite Blue.

Kieran Djilali saw plenty of the ball in the opening exchanges, but Ian Morris came close after five minutes, firing a long-range effort narrowly wide of ex - Spireite Trevor Carson's goal. Chesterfield played some decent stuff from the off, and Djilali fired wide a minute later.

The Arsenal loanee Gavin Hoyte went down after an accidental clash with Djilali on 10. Facey seemed to get the last touch on a ball that went out on 12, but a corner was given. Hoyte was replaced by Fuseini before the corner came in to be cleared by Breckin. Lee dug out a Hunt shot on 14 as Lincoln showed for the first time.

Another Lincoln corner was taken by McCallum, but Ford got ahead of Facey. The ball was kicked long, and helped on towards Trevor Carson in the Lincoln goal, but a disastrous mistake by the goalie presented Chesterfield with the game's opening goal, on 14. Carson went towards the routine backpass but put such a heavy first touch on it that the ball ran to CRAIG DAVIES; the forward flicked it over Carson and ran on to steer the ball into an empty net. That was Craig's second in successive games, and with an "assist" from the keeper!

Craig Davies was brought down by Watts on 19 to concede a penalty. With the regular penalty-taker Danny Whitaker watching from the bench, Davies immediately spotted the ball up, but Carson guessed correctly and saved the kick.

After only 26 minutes, Simon Ford limped off, to be replaced by Danny Whitaker. Holden and Breckin formed a central pair and Drew Talbot went back to the right of defence. Whitaker's header was stopped on the line by Watts, and Carson saved Davies' fine header on 31.

McCallum's corner on 36 was over-hit, and Talbot worked the ball forward on the right-hand side. Ian Morris went into the book after 38 after a foul on McCallum. Watts knocked down the free kick but Holden threw himself in the way of Hone's shot to clear from the goal and concede a corner. Grimes met Hone's knock-back from McCallum's corner, but turned it wide. Sloppy defending at this corner had manager John Sheridan out of the dugout to make a point.

Chesterfield were having to resist some strident Lincoln pressure as the half came to a close. A fifth Lincoln corner was repelled, but returned to Grimes; Tommy Lee held his drive across the six-yard box. Hone and Davies were having a great tussle, and a foul by the former on the latter gave Chesterfield a free kick in a decent position. Fuseili read Djilali's intentions and intercepted his short pass to Morris. Grimes went into the book after kicking Morris in the chest while competing for a high ball.

Halftime: Lincoln City 0 Chesterfield 1. Attendance:4172(A fantastic 1142 from Town.)

Almost from the resumption, Chesterfield took the initiative. Talbot cut in nicely and found Whitaker; he played Davies in and his shot across the face of the goal just eluded the advancing Boden. Grimes was set free but Holden intercepted well, and helped the ball on to Lee. On 51 Boden crossed to Robertson, who had continued a run into the box and who met the ball powerfully with a goal-bound header, but Carson came from nowhere to pull off a fine save.

Robertson fouled Howell on 53 but McCallum's free kick sailed straight into the safe arms of Tommy Lee. As Lincoln came forward more, Robertson did enough to deceive O'Keefe and helped Chesterfield to break. A late Niven challenge on Fuseili produced the visitors' second booking of the day, on 58. The referee had a word with Davies after he was penalised for turning his man around with his arms.

Whitaker dispossessed Fuseili on 62 but the move broke down with a misplaced pass. Talbot made a fine clearing header after Facey got the better of Holden for the first time; Holden was forced to concede a corner moments later. Djilali cleared safely. Grimes headed forward and Lee conceded another corner, on 65. McCallum's kick and Breckin cleared; McCallum was set to return it but Whitaker tackled him.

Djilali was caught late and needed attention on 67. Carayol came on for Howell after 71. Lincoln had the ball in the net through McCallum on 73 but the offside flag brought a premature end to the home fans' celebrations. Djilali fired narrowly over on 75 after playing on from a foul.

Lincoln made their last substitution on 77, bringing Hutchinson on for the busy McCallum. The unmarked Fuseili saw a shot blocked by Niven as the game entered its last ten minutes. Jack Lester was brought on for Scott Boden in the 81st minute. Morris spotted the run on Djilali and the Palace loanee won his side's first corner. DEAN HOLDEN sneaked in behind Ian Breckin to meet the ball with a firm header and guide it home for Chesterfield's second goal, on 83.

A Lincoln corner on 87 was easily repulsed. Grimes won a free kick and took it himself in the last minute, but Whitaker blocked the shot for a throw. Craig Davies went into the book for handball.

To a huge cheer from the magnificent travelling support, Jamie Lowry came on for Djilali with a minute to go in stoppage time, as Chesterfield wound the clock down on a fine away win, extending their lead at the top of the league to eight points.

    Latest Match Reports