Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Mon 03 Jan 11 at 17:36 PM

Stanley 2 Spireites 2

John Sheridan made two changes to the side that opened up a four-point lead at the top on New Year's Day. Dean Morgan missed out after being taken off injured against the Hatters, so Ian Morris - who came off the bench and took to the centre-left of a midfield five in fine style - started instead. Up front Jordan Bowery came in for Craig Davies, who suffered a hamstring strain against Stockport, but is expected to be back for the trip to Southend on Saturday.

Chesterfield won their first corner on 4, after Ford's throw was cleared. Whitaker's kick was half-cleared but play was suspended with a player down. Play continued after a high tackle on Bowery on 9 and Talbot crossed well; the ball came to Whitaker, who shot over. From the goal kick Accrington took the lead through McConville after a long ball bounced kindly for the Stanley man.

Chesterfield won their second corner on 15; Whitaker's kick was cut out at the near post, however. Accrington won their first flag kick after knocking the ball long; Lester headed away from the near post, and the danger was cleared. Accrington extended their lead on 23 after Craney broke away from Mattis and found Gornell, who crashed the ball home from around six yards.

Chesterfield won another corner on 32 and the ball came to Talbot, who was brought down on the edge of the penalty area. Stanley were able to clear the danger. Good work by Ryan at the other end won Stanley a corner on 34 and Lee pulled off a good save to deny Edwards at the expense of another corner.

Breckin went into the book after a foul on Ryan. Lee saved well from Ryan's free kick, and a corner ensued, which Ford cleared. As Stanley continued to be a gear or two better than their visitors, Ryan shot inches wide. Stanley opened the Spireites' defence up again on 42 but Craney missed when well-placed to finish the game off.

Halftime: Stanley 2 Spireites 0.

With Stanley having provided the first-half impetus, their rather more pedestrian approach at the start of the second period meant for a quieter period of play than we'd seen up to now. They seemed content to sit on their lead and let Chesterfield push forward. Jacobson was booked for a foul on Talbot on 51 as Chesterfield tried to put passes together. Another Stanley man quickly went into the book, Edwards being taken to task for a foul on Lester on halfway. Mattis worked the ball to Lester as Chesterfield made a brighter start to the second half but Edwards made enough of a connection to force the ball away from the Spireites frontman and back to Dunbavin.

Jack Hunt came on for Ian Morris after 60 minutes. Dwayne Mattis went into midfield and Breckin partnered Ford at centre-half. Before any hoped-for effect could materialise, Drew Talbot suffered a twisted knee after his bladed boots stuck in the turf while attempting to win the ball. After lengthy treatment he was able to continue.

Deane Smalley replaced Jordan Bowery on 72. Five minutes later, Boden replaced Lester.

A snap shot from Gornell deceived Lee on 83 but the ball didn't quite bobble over the Chesterfield goal line before Lee recovered and claimed the ball. As Chesterfield tried to bring men forward gaps were left at the back, and McConville forced a corner. Stanley brought Putterill on for McConville as Ian Breckin was posted forward to join the attack and DEANE SMALLEY stuck out a foot to pull a goal back after Stanley failed to clear on 88. Deep into stoppage time Lee pumped a free kick forward and Talbot crossed; Breckin made his presence felt and SCOTT BODENcelebrated his50th league appearance from the bench by being perfectly placed to steer the ball home as Chesterfield came back from the dead to claim a point in a remarkable - and for 85 minutes or so, unthinkable - fashion.

    Latest Match Reports