Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 13 Nov 10 at 18:50 PM

Spireites 1 Brewers 2

John Sheridan made four changes from the side that won at Harrow Borough in the FA Cup last week, but the better comparison is probably with the one change made to the team that beat Shrewsbury here two weeks ago; the departing Scott Griffiths being replaced by Kelvin Lomax.

Burton won the game's first corner on 2 but Lee confidently claimed the flag kick. Davies was released forward but fouled twice in quick succession; Whitaker's kick was headed over the bar for a goal kick

Collins gave Burton the lead on 4 after Hunt and Ford got into a tangle; the forward's strength took him into the box and he blasted the ball past Lee.As Chesterfield fought back, Stanton was spoken to after a clumsy foul on Lester on 8. Collins put the ball into the Spireite net from the same place on 15 but fouled Ford in the build-up.

Niven's cross from the right on 21 was deflected for a corner but Stanton headed the kick away. Burton won another corner on 23, which was put out by a blue head; Bolder's second effort ran through the Spireites' penalty area and out for a throw.

Allott's neat pass to Lester nearly saw the Chesterfield forward play Whitaker in on 27 but the ball was fired clear for a corner. The return came to Davies, who blasted over from the edge of the box. As Chesterfield got more to grips with the task in hand, Kelvin Lomax's fighting spirit kept the ball in and a cross was cleared from in front on the Albion goal with Talbot closing in. Davies was booked for dissent on 31. As Allott drove the side forward, Hunt's cross was charged out for a corner on 34.

A Lomax free kick was headed forward by Davies on 36 to Mattis, whose shot went narrowly over.Whitaker cut inside onto Allott's pass and saw a shot blocked on 37. Talbot's foot put the ball out for a Burton corner on 38 and Lee caught; Scott Malone was booked for putting a foot up at Lee as the keeper kicked.

Chesterfield v Burton Albion

Davies got onto the end of a pass on 40 but saw his left-footed shot well saved by Legzdins. Chesterfield equalised on 44 minutes after Jack Lester held the ball up well on the edge of the Burton box; he laid it back to Derek Niven, whose driven cross-cum-shot was never going in, but was deflected home off Burton's Bolder. Whitaker was booked in a moment of ill-discipline that saw him kick the ball high towards the bank of Burton travelling support.

McGrath went into the book on the stroke of halftime for a foul on Niven.

Halftime: 1-1. Attendance: 7864 (760 Brewers)

Burton brought Darren Moore on for Nathan Stanton before they began the second half. Lomax slipped in the box and presented Lee with a good chance but Lee saved; Webster headed into Lee's arms without the hindrance of a Spireite challenge as Chesterfield started slightly the slower.

Collins' shot flew narrowly over on 50 and won a corner, which Boulder took; Moore fired goalwards at the back post but Lee stood bravely to beat the ball away. Chesterfield's defence stood still as the ball went through to Collins, who probably saw the headlines before hitting the ball; his effort went remarkably wide.

Derek Niven was given a straight red card for a high boot on McGrath after 57 minutes by the Premiership referee, Lee Mason, who had rather lost his way, and ended up giving ammunition to those who would argue against Tony Pulis's call for relegation of referees from the Prem to the Football League. Penn went into the book for a late challenge on Talbot that denied Chesterfield an attacking opportunity. McGrath brought Lester down from behind a few minutes later but, amazingly, was allowed to escape without what would have been a second yellow card. Indeed, the ref saw fit to speak to Lester!

Chesterfield v Burton Albion

The Burton man looks more surprised than Derek!

Dean Morgan came on for Lester after 63 minutes. As the game became more breathless Harrad came on for Maghoma. Burton won a free kick on the corner of the box when the ball rolled down Mattis's arm. Bolder took it to the back post but Lee came with confidence to collect safely. Davies had a chance on 73 when a through ball went wide to the forward's left; Legzdins came but slipped, and Malone cleared the ball off the line.

Jordan Bowery replaced Craig Davies on 75. A Collins shot took an edge of Hunt to go for a corner on 78 The Brewers worked an opportunity for Harrad on 79 but Lee got down to save. The deadlock was finaly broken on 82 when Harrad turned and shot past the despairing Lee from around 12 yards. The Burton mad was booked for removing his shirt in the celebration. Young replaced the injured Penn with six minutes left.

Bowery broke through with three minutes left but took enough time for Legzdins to set himself, and the ball was saved at the expense of a corner. Ford joined the attack in injury time and won a corner with neat footwork. Burton won a succession of corners at the other end to use time up. Bolder was booked for a foul on Morgan as Chesterfield tried to break from the last of these.

    Latest Match Reports