Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 02 Nov 10 at 22:21 PM

Spireites 5 Stanley 2

John Sheridan made one change to the starting eleven that came back from Stevenage with a point, bringing Lester in for Bowery. New boys Kelvin Lomax and Deane Smalley were given places among the substitutes. Stanley made five changes to the side that lost at home to Cheltenham.

With fifty seconds on the clock Jack Lester charged down an attempted clearance by goalkeeper Cisak from a long Hunt ball; the rebound squirmed narrowly wide of the keeper's right-hand post, with the goal wide open.

Chesterfield took the lead in the ninth minute. Derek Niven played a ball down the middle for CRAIG DAVIES to run onto; shaking off a defender as the keeper came out, the Chesterfield man slid between the two to plant his tenth league goal of the season into the net, from the edge of the box.

Jack Lester was caught late by Proctor but the referee saw it as a slip in the wet conditions, and no free kick resulted. Allott's foul presented Stanley with a free kick on the corner of the Chesterfield penalty area, but the low delivery skidded past defenders and forwards alike.

Murphy went down under a Griffiths challenge in the box on 15 and the referee pointed to the spot. Edwards levelled the scores from the kick, despite Lee diving the right way.

Edwards went into the book on 22 for a blocking foul some eight yards outside the Stanley box. Accrington won the game's first corner on 23 when Whitaker charged down a Bateson cross. Niven cleared the flag kick under pressure from Barnett. Winnard went into the book for a poor, late challenge on Talbot. Talbot was caught in possession - perhaps unfairly - on 28 by Ryan, whose shot flew a yard over the bar.

Davies won a corner on 32. Whitaker's deep cross was caught by Cisak. Accrington went forward from that and won their second corner. Chesterfield broke from that in turn, but Ryan obstructed Talbot, earning Stanley's third booking of the half.Talbot headed a cross out for a corner on 37, when a call from defence might have saved it; Lester headed the kick away and Whitaker completed the clearance.

Chesterfield worked the ball well from right to left, Whitaker laying the ball inside; Lester took possession and was unceremoniously kicked to the ground by Long, for the easiest pen that a referee will ever be asked to give. DANNY WHITAKER fired the spot kick powerfully to the keeper's right, and his despairing dive could not prevent the ball entering the net to restore the Spireites' lead in the 39th minute.

With their tails up, Chesterfield pressed forward remorselessly and JACK LESTER skipped through the Accrington defence on 41 minutes to score a delightful goal of great craft, shooting home from around ten yards to give the Spireites a 3-1 advantage.

Halftime: Spireites 3 Stanley 1 Attendance: 6,034. (123 from Accrington.)

Chesterfield won the first corner of the second half on 51, when Talbot's cross was charged out. This was headed out by a Stanley defender and, while the visitors appealed for a goal kick Whitaker took it quickly, but Davies was just unable to work an opening before a clearance was made.

Griffiths' strong run into the Accrington box produced another corner. Allott and Whitaker worked it short before a cross came over; Davies prodded, but was unable to get any power on it. Lester set Davies free of the offside trap on 55 and he laid the ball into the path of DANNY WHITAKER, who slid the ball home from six yards to make it 4-1.

Putterill and Turner came on for Barnett and Murphy on 58. The changes revitalised the visitors, and Accrington scored a second on 62 after Gornell was first to a ball to the near post to divert the ball past Lee.

Jack Hunt pulled up with an injury to the upper leg and was replaced by the debutant Kelvin Lomax after 70 minutes.His fellow-Oldham man Deane Smalley came into the game on 75, replacing Derek Niven; Whitaker came inside and Smalley went wide left.

Stanley persevered, and Puttrill shot wide with eleven left. For the most part Chesterfield defended effectively, although at the expense of the fluid attacking stuff that had characterised their earlier play. Despite the B2Net Stadium having some "previous," it didn't ever look like the visitors would do cause enough trouble to recover anything from the game.

Scot Boden replaced Jack Lester with seven minutes remaining. Lomax worked the ball forward to Boden on 88 and he set CRAIG DAVIES in the clear; the flag stayed down as Chesterfield's leading scorer slid his second of the game past the keeper and into the net. The final whistle saw the home fans ready to face the pouring rain with beaming smiles, while the departing Scott Griffiths got a fine send-off from the crowd. With Port Vale and Bury failing to win, Chesterfield's lead at the top was restored to three points.

    Latest Match Reports