Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 09 Oct 10 at 18:03 PM

Spireites 2 Shrimpers 1

John Sheridan made two changes to the side that performed so creditably at Hillsborough in midweek, bringing in Lester and Clay for Bowery and the injured Morgan. The presence of 6,000 Spireites and 500 Shrimpers sent the gate figure to a new Football League record for the B2Net Stadium. For the first time, Chesterfield were asked to kick towards the home fans on the Karen Child Stand during the first half.

Chesterfield won a corner on three after a defender got in front of Jack Lester. Quickly taken, it was worked to Clay, whose cross was met by the loping header of Ford. Morris, in the Southend goal, dealt well with it under the crossbar. The Shrimpers won a corner of their own on 4, off Ford; Grant's kick was easily headed clear to halfway by Mattis.

Southend won another corner off Clay on 10. It was taken short but put out for a throw by Griffiths after confusion between Southend players. AnotherSouthend corner on 12 saw Lee lose possession of the ball but Hunt was on the line to clear away a goalbound header.

Clay's turn in midfield on 15 put two men out of the picture; he worked it forward to Davies, who found Whitaker outside; his drive went wide of the Southend goal. Ester and Clay worked the ball to Davies on 24 but his first-time volley flew high and wide.

The ball was worked up to Jack Lester by Griffiths on 25 and he turned between two men in the box before being pulled down. DANNY WHITAKER stepped up to blast the ball down the middle and give Chesterfield a lead that was deserved on the balance of play.

Danny Whitaker

A Davies shot from 25 cannoned off a Southend man and went for a 31st-minute corner that was worked short, and eventually went out for a goal kick. Ford was penalised for a foul on Grant a yard outside the box on 33; the wall did its job, charging Timlin's shot for a corner. Fairhurst beat Griffiths as Southend pressed and Ford came over to block the ball for another corner. Coughlan was all over Mattis as the ball came over and the ball came to Anthony Grant, who shot the equaliser home from just outside the box, on 36.

Southend were given a gift corner on 39 when a long cross went over everyone and out; it came to Patterson who chose to shoot with Soares running in, ready to shoot. Patterson's effort was blocked and cleared.

Niven went into the book on 40 for pulling down Grant as he broke through the middle, Only the presence of covering defenders prevented the card from being red. The neat free-kick routine led to a seventh corner for the visitors, Niven headed clear but it came back to Barker, who volleyed over when well set to score. Southend pressed strongly as the home defence looked shaky, but Simpson's terrible shot from around eight yards went wide.

Halftime: 1-1. 6,557 (518 from Southend.)

Talbot put over a neat measured cross for Lester on 47 but Jack sidefooted his effort wide. Davies crossed a minute later and Gilbert blocked it for a corner. Morris dropped the ball at Lester's feet and he poked the ball goalwards but it came back into the grateful arms of the keeper off Craig Davies. Hunt's powerful run produced problems for Southend and a corner resulted after Whitaker's shot was blocked . Clay shot from around 20 and the keeper had to reach to prevent the ball finding the top corner.

Southend continued to look as dangerous as their hosts and won a corner on 59, which Lee collected well. Ian Morris came on for Craig Clay on 60. Lester battled to win the ball and press forward on 64 but his pass to Davies in the box slipped under the forward's boot and away. Soares has a great opportunity from a Clohessy cross but he blasted it at the base of the post; it came back to Soares and his second effort was well saved by Lee.

Talbot did well to bring the ball down the right and in for Lester, on 75; Jack slipped, but recovered to float an attempt a foot or so over Morris's bar. Timlin fouled Talbot and Whitaker whipped the kick in, but Coughlan headed out; the ball was worked to Hunt, who headed over.

Jarvis came of for Patterson on 78; Davies saw the number 9 up and Bowery waiting to come on, and trotted towards the bench, thinkingthe bell tolled for him. Boden and Bowery came on for Lester and Davies, after 82. Southend brought Hill on for Fairhurst. Chesterfield picked up the pace and forced a corner that Gilbert hacked over his own head to clear. Boden and Morris worked a decent bal in to Griffiths, who shot on an angle, but the ball passed wide. Hunt won a late corner which was put into the box and, after a scramble, it fell to SCOTT BODEN at close range to chest down, spin and rifle home in the third and final minute of stoppage time.

Scott Boden

    Latest Match Reports