Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 23 Jan 10 at 16:53 PM

Cobblers 0 Spireites 0

Rob Page recovered from a tweak in the groin department that forced his substitution last Saturday, allowing John Sheridan to name an unchanged side. Frankie Artus started his month's loan on the bench, taking the place filled by Phil Picken last time out.

Northampton's Akinfenwa went down after a couple of minutes, requiring treatment, but was soon up and looking to worry the visitors' defence. Billy McKay was looking a particular handful for the home side. The Cobbler won their first corner after 8 after good work by Holt, but Page headed the kick away. Morris was called into action to clear the returned ball and Northampton kept the pressure on until Page again stepped in to sort the problem out.

The home side continued to do the lion's share of the pressing, but Chesterfield were able to repel the danger with varying degrees of comfort. Chesterfield came close to scoring on 17, when Dunn fumbled his first proper contact, but Boden and Conlon were both unable to get the decisive touch to the ball.

Gilligan worked hard to set Gutteridge up on 22, but his shot screwed wide. Mark Allott ended up with a blood injury after a tackle on Akinfenwa that earned him a talking-to from the referee.

After a pressured first fifteen minutes the visitors grew in comfort a little, restricting the home side to the occasional long shot.

A Gilbert shot flew off Page on 36 for County's second corner; Downes was forced to clear the far post ball at the expense of another corner, which Lee collected with ease. Akinfenwa broke through on 37 but Downes timed a tackle well, with a corner resulting. Gilligan recovered the cleared ball and Akinfenwa headed over after pushing his marker away. Gilligan caught Green on 41 and was warned by the referee.

In the run-up to halftime Morris's free kick cross gave Conlon an opportunity to head, but the ball flashed over.

Halftime: 0-0. Attendance: 4513 (453 Spireites)

Gilligan's late challenge floored Dan Gray on 52 and earned a yellow card as the second half made a measured start. Chesterfield won their first corner of the game on 57. Morris's near-post delivery was easily cleared, however.

Northampton replaced Billy McKay with Herbert on the hour, and he very nearly capitalised on a slip between Downes and Lee within seconds of coming on. Barry Conlon went into the book after a foul on Johnson on 62.

Frankie Artus came on for Niven after 70 minutes, while O'Flynn, the Cobblers' new man from Limerick, came on for Akinfenwa at the same time.

Page began to limp after a challenge on 73 but gave Tommy Wright the "thumbs up" and continued. Northampton began to press again, finding renewed vigour from the substitutions up front.

Northampton won a corner on 80, which Morris headed away; the ball was returned but Herbert headed wide. Martin Gritton replaced Ian Morris after 81. Boden went to the right of midfield and Green to the left. Boden latched onto a Conlon pass on 85 and shot, but the ball deflected for a corner. Green's delivery was good enough but Hinton headed away. Herbert had a great chance to snatch a late winner on 89 but shot over when well-placed.

    Latest Match Reports