Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 09 Feb 10 at 19:38 PM

Valiants 1 Spireites 2

Third win on the trot for the Spireites with a 2-1 victory away at Port Vale last night.  First half goals from Aaron Downes and Dominic Green helped seal the victory and moved Chesterfield up into 6th position in League Two.   The victory may have come at a price with fears that influential defender Aaron Downes, only back recently after an 8 month injury lay-off, may have sustained another injury to the same knee.   Meanwhile, Spireites goalkeeper Tommy Lee played the last twenty minutes of the match at Vale Park with a dislocated finger but is expected to be ok for Saturday when there is a big six pointer coming up at Saltergate with the visit of third placed Bury.   Chesterfield manager John Sheridan made two changes for the match at Vale Park.  Wade Small replaced Martin Gritton up front, whilst Ian Breckin replaced Derek Niven as the Spireites went 3-5-2, similar to the battling line-up at Morecambe.   Mark Allott was making his 250th league appearance for the Spireites.   Wade Small linked up well with Dominic Green following another useful raid by the Spireites.  His bumbling shot from the edge of the box went just wide of the post with the Vale 'keeper a spectator.    Aaron Downes scored for Chesterfield following a corner in the 9th minute.  Good work from Adam Rundle who picked up the clearance to weave his way into the box to set up the chance.  Rob Page rattled the bar and Aaron Downes followed up to smash the rebound into the net off the underside of the bar.    Port Vale pushed for an equaliser but with 25 mins gone the Spireites were holding firm, snuffing out the threat with some well organised defending.   Significantly the Spireites were also getting forward with Dominic Green using his pace but there was no further threat on the Valiants goal.   Port Vale made a substitution with John McCombe replacing Gareth Owen.   On 31 minutes the Spiretes went further ahead when Dominic Green ran through from deep to bide his time before firing into the net, the ot taking a deflection off the keeper.   Tommy Lee saved the Spireites from conceding on 35 mins when he came out quickly to deny Tommy Fraser by bravely diving at his feet to safely grab the ball.   Whilst Tommy Lee was the busiest 'keeper at that point he kept a clean sheet whilst the Vale 'keeper had picked the ball out of the net twice much to the frustration of the home crowd.   Wade Small linked up well with Dominic Green following another useful raid by the Spireites.  His bumbling shot from the edge of the box went just wide of the post with the Vale 'keeper a spectator.   Just before the break the Spireites had to make a substitution after Aaron Downes seemed to twist himself and looked to be in some discomfort from his knee. He was replaced by Kevin Austin   Was subsequent victory at a price?   No doubt that the home side were battling away but weren't getting any change out of the visitors.   At the break it was Valiants 0 Spireites 2   Vale came out more determined for the second half and pulled one back after 49 mins following a poor clearance by the Spireites in a crowded goalmouth.  It gave Craig Davies the opportunity to hit the ball untidely into the far corner of the net.   Craig Davies started to show some pedigree when he waltzed past Kevin Austin to set up a good chance but spoilt it by skying the ball into the stand.   With Vale starting to get the upper hand in midfield and exploit substitute Kevin Austin, the Spiretes made second a substitution with Derek Niven replacing Austin to revert to a 4 4 2 line-up.   Moments later Craig Davies almost scored his second with a fierce headed that was inches wide of Lee's upright.   With the Spireties still trying to steady the ship Mark Richards fired iin a bullet shot which Tommy Lee did well to parry but gave Richards a second bite of the cherry which he flunked by firing at Lee who bravely deflected the ball for a corner   Tommy Lee required some attention to his hand before the coner could be taken and bravely played the rest of the game with a dislocated finger.   Crosses were starting to trouble the Spireties with Craig Davies nodding another effort wide with the goal at his mercy.   Chesterfield made a third substitution with fresh legs as Scott Boden replaced a tiring Wade Small but the Vale Park crowd scented an upset was on the cards.   The Spirietes had a good spell by stringing some good passes together on the wide Vale Park pitch.   An intricate move involving Green, Boden and Conlon almost set up a chance but last ditch defending denied the former Grimsby striker.   Dan Gray was booked for dwelling too long with the ball before taking a through in.   A sign that Chesterfield were starting to hold their own again came when Port Vale made a double substitution with Louis Dodds on for Anthony Griffiths, whilst Robert Taylor replaced Lewis Haldane.   The home crowd got a second wind when they heard that fully six minutes of added time was due to be played.   A chance to seal victory for Chesterfield came when Adam Rundle set up Scott Boden but his looping shot was wide.   Chesterfield started to play the clock down when they could to eat up the final minutes and Port Vale ran out of ideas..   Adam Rundle and Scott Boden combined well to keep the Spireites on the front foot.   There were loud cheers from the 276 visiting Chesterfield fans as the final whistle meant another victory for the Spireites, their third win on the trot but there may be a price to pay if it turns out that Aaron Downes suffered any serious damage to his knee.   Chesterfield line-up:  Tommy Lee, Rob Page, Ian Breckin, Aaron Downes, Dan Gray, Dominic Green, Mark Allott, Adam Rundle, Alan Goodall, Wade Small, Barry Conlon.   Subs:  Mark Crossley, Danny Boshell, Kevin Austin, Martin Gritton, Frankie Artus, Scott Boden, Derek Niven             

    Latest Match Reports