Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 07 Nov 09 at 17:56 PM

Spireites 1 Cherries 3

Chesterfield made two changes to the side which defeated Barnet last Saturday. Wade Small & Scott Boden replaced the returned Donal McDermott & Derek Niven. Bournemouth fresh from a strong defeat at home to Rochdale made just the one change with Sammy Igoe replacing ex-Spireite Steve Fletcher. Within moments in what was to be the last FA Cup tie to be played at Saltergate the Spireites scored with a cross by Wade Small easily dispatched by JACK LESTER for the strikers fifth of the season. Moments later though a cross by Liam Feeney saw Sammy Igoe shoot across goal where Tommy Lee got a hand but couldn't stop the ball trickling along the line via the post and it was one apiece. The game drifted intro a lull period before a shot by Anton Robinson saw a fine save by Lee. On 27 an Igoe cross saw a header back by Jason Pearce followed by another cushioned header by Lee Bradbury and Alan Connell slotted home from on the line and the Cherries were in front 2-1. On 37 a Small cross saw a shot by Drew Talbot go wide. Minutes later and Brett Pitman shot over the bar which saw the end of the action mainly for the first half. Wade Small was helped off after a challenge towards the end. HT 1-2 Att: 3277 (230 away supporters) The second half started with a replacement for Wade Small with Derek Niven replacing the striker. On 48 Bournemouth started the brighter with a cross by Feeney headed wide by Connell. Scott Boden shot wide from distance on 55 followed by a header by Alan Connell which went over the bar. Both sides looked to attack to kill the game off. On 60 Mark Little saw yellow following a late challenge on Igoe which saw the former Portsmouth player carried off. Josh McQouid replaced Igoe. The Spireites saw fit at this point to replace Lester with Jordan Bowery as they switched to a 4-3-3 formation. On 75 though McQuoid caught the Spireites defence napping and crossed from the right where a neat dummy from Pitman saw Connell bag his second and the match for the Cherries. 77 minutes gone and Mark Little was dismissed for his second yellow following a foul on Warren Cummings. On 87 a Connell cross saw a super save by Lee. The Cherries made another change with goalscorer Connell replaced by Marvin Bartley followed by former Spireite Steve Fletcher coming on for 45 seconds replacing Pitman. All that remained was a Fletcher header setting up a volley from Danny Hollands to volley from 35 yards which went inches wide. FT 1-3 Our run in the FA Cup continues we haven't beaten a league side since Wrexham in the famous 96-97 run. Prior to that it was 1981 with a victory over Preston. One comment after the match suggested that we should just give a bye to whoever we play as the chances are we'd lose. Harsh but the stats back it up, we never turned up today for those supporters who came today to look at the Spireites impressive home form were sadly disappointed. However we can now focus on the JPT and the most important league fingers crossed we put up a better performance and more desire than today. PF.

    Latest Match Reports