Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 01 May 10 at 16:54 PM

Stanley 2 Spireites 0

John Sheridan made four changes to the side that drew against Bradford City last time out. A virus has some say in this, and illness denied Mark Allott the chance of being the club's first outfield ever-present since Tom Curtis in 1995-6. Tommy Lee played despite being unwell all week, but also missing from the starting line-up were Rundle, Hall and Picken.

On a pitch that made passing football difficult, The Spireites stated their intent by winning a corner in the opening minute; Niven's header down from Boshell's place-kick was cleared. Talbot ran from wide and was fouled near the edge of the box on 3; Boshell's free kick was cleared for a corner.

As the first fifteen ticked past a scrappy game developed with Chesterfield looking the brighter of the two sides, but unable to make their ideas work. Lester worked the ball well across to Niven after a run down the left and Small's shot was blocked and cleared.

Small looked to handle the ball in controlling it on 18 but caught the flailing hand of an opponent and needed attention to a cut. McConville went through on 20 and tumbled in the box under a Breckin challenge; Spireite hearts were in their mouths until the referee booked the attacker for simulation and gave the ball to Chesterfield.

Talbot and Demontagnac changed sides on 21. Stanley began to exert more influence as the halfway point of the half passed. Talbot was forced to hook the ball clear after por marking from a free-kick presented Stanley with a chance. Demontagnac was yellow-carded for persistent foul play on 28.

Dunbavin's hands were stung by Niven's powerful shot from 25 on 31. Small took a Demontagnac pass and won a corner with a deflected shot but Boshell's cross from a short corner was too heavy. Boshell forced a good save from Dunbavin on 33 as Chesterfield came back into the game.

Edwards was penalised for a foul and the referee had to pull him and Small apart. Goodall took the free kick and Page rose to head across the goal, but just wide. Good work in the Accrington defence prevented Lester from capitalising on neat play from Small after 42. Boshell took the resulting corner but the ball was cleared; Page got on the end of a Gray return but Stanley kept the danger at bay. Chesterfield were finishing the half strongly but had to repel a late Stanley corner to go in on level terms.

Halftime: 0-0.

Small very nearly gave his side the lead after great work by Lester in the opening thirty seconds.Demontagnac saw a shot well saved on 48. Lee was forced to palm a long-range Grant shot over the bar while back-pedalling on 51.

Boshell's free kick after Talbot was fouled came to Small, but the ball kicked up and was taken by the keeper. Demontagnac found Talbot with a good ball but Drew's shot found the ranks of Spireite fans behind the goal. A Talbot shot on the angle was pushed round for a corner on the hour. Lester had a good chance but the danger suddenly switched to the other end and Lee was decisive in nullifying the danger.

Poor defending presented Chesterfield with a corner on 64. Boshell's delivery was headed towards goal but over the bar by Page. Demontagnac's shot was blocked and the rebound just failed to fall for the prowling Lester.

For the home side, Miles and Kee replaced McConville and Turner on 66. The change paid of three minutes later when Kee capitalised on slack marking to give Stanley the lead.

Conlon had been warming up for some time before the goal. He came on after 70 minutes to replace Small, who had tried, but proved ineffective. A foul on Niven produced a Chesterfield free kick on the edge of the home area. Demontagnac faced a five-man wall and a big deflection took the free kick for a corner, but Boshell's poor delivery allowed an easy clearance.

Boden replaced Lester on 78. Conlon went down in the box but the referee turned penalty claims away with four minutes remaining. With Chesterfield pressing Kee broke onto a ball over the top with three minutes left and gave Stanley a 2-0 lead despite Lee's efforts.

Kee was only booked after throwing a headbutt at Rob Page, who objected to the Stanley player's original foul on Niven. Boshell was replaced by Rundle in the second minute of stoppage time and immediately forced Dunbavin to work to hold a shot.

    Latest Match Reports