Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 24 Apr 10 at 18:16 PM

Spireites 1 Bantams 1

There were six changes to Chesterfield's starting line-up for the game against Bradford City today. Out went Austin, Boshell, Goodall, Bowery, Small and Whing; in came Picken, Niven, Hall, Gray, Rundle and Talbot.

Honours were even in a first half where both sides seemed a bit too wary of the other to commit enough impetus to attacking. A Chesterfield corner on 8 was swung out on its way over and, from the goal kick, Bradford broke and Osborne headed wide. Breckin denied Evans at the near post from Bradford's first corner.

Picken robbed his man to keep a spell of Chesterfield pressure going; he swapped passes with Lester and shot wide from the corner of the penalty area. Lee held a weak shot from Flynn.

Grant broke through on the Chesterfield left as the half neared its conclusion. He shot, but the sting was taken out of it by a slight deflection, and Lee was able to make a comfortable-looking save.

Halftime: 0-0. Attendance: 4109 (395 from Bradford.)

Rehman went in late on Allott within a couple of minutes of the restart to get the crowd going. The Spireites had come out to press with more conviction and their efforts were rewarded on 51 minutes. ISHMEL DEMONTAGNAC capitalised on uncertainty in the heart of Bradford's defence to leave a defender stood on his head, slip the ball round the keeper and find the net from eight yards, to give Chesterfield the lead.

Hall lost the ball on 54 and Evans very nearly capitalised, but Lee was able to hold his shot from an angle. Demontagnac was booked on 54, although it wasn't immediately clear what he did to earn it.

Boden replaced the tiring Talbot on 57. Drew had put himself about a lot, particularly in the first half, and was plainly going to tire after being out for several games. Osborne was replaced by Daley on 61. Chesterfield were enjoying their best spell of the game and Boden and Allott shot wide after good build-up that involved Rundle on both occasions.

Bradford won a corner off Hall on 69 and as the ball was cleared into touch on the Pop Side in the Chesterfield half, Omar Daley struck Gray in the face. Gray went down, the ref whipped out the red card and Daley trotted off, without a murmur of dissent from anyone - players, management or supporters - associated with City.

Four minutes later, City were level. A poor pass to Hall gave him little option but to put the ball out, under pressure. While he was preoccupied with the disappointment of that, City took the throw; Flynn found Evans, who was Hall's man, and the forward raced into the box and fired low under the body of the advancing Lee.

Lester worked the ball cleverly to Boden to set him free on goal, but a poor-looking offside flag stopped the move. Conlon came on for Picken but pushing Rundle to left-back seemed to unbalance the side, and Whing had to come on for Rundle to keep things steady at the back. An Allott shot was tipped over on 85 but a deflated home side couldn't really muster the impetus to put the visitors under enough pressure and claim the winning goal.

    Latest Match Reports