Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 13 Apr 10 at 21:42 PM

Mariners 2 Spireites 2

There were four changes to the line-up to the Chesterfield side that fought back from two down last Saturday, for the visit to Cleethorpes. Out went Rundle, Small, Austin and Hall; in came Page, Goodall, Boden and Bowery, for his full league debut. Scott Boden started up front alongside Lester, with Jordan Bowery in a wide midfield position.

Allott was forced to make a tackle to deny Akpro after a fine run through the middle took him past Page on 7. Grimsby won a free kick some thirty yards out on 8 and Coulson drove the ball onto the post, with Lee stranded; it rebounded to Hudson, who put the ball wide. Akpro's pace looked like troubling the visitors and he won the game's first corner after 12. The kick was scrambled to the edge of the box and cleared by Demontagnac. Grimsby quickly won a second corner but the Spireites cleared a little easier this time.

Akpro was instrumental in winning his side's third corner in quick succession, from the left this time; Chesterfield forced the Mariners to play it back to halfway and possession was lost when the ball went long.

Coulson came close again with a left-footed drive from twenty yards that flashed past the post on 19, as Chesterfield struggled to get going. Akpro got past Page and Demontagnac got back intelligently to clear on 21. Lester nearly fed one through to Boden with his back to goal on 22 and Bowery was fouled to present the Spireites with a free kick in a good crossing position. Demontagnac was instrumental in the visitors' best work of the match so far, on 23.

Wright gave Grimsby the lead with a breakaway goal after being fed by Sinclair on 28. Grimsby continued to press and Devitt found a gap opening for him as he advanced, but his shot was inaccurate. Lee expressed his dissatisfaction with his defence. Niven shot on 35 after Lester held the ball up for Demontagnac but his effort went wide.

Lee made a good save to push away Akpro's glancing header as the home side continued to enjoy the better of the game. Chesterfield suddenly pushed for an equaliser and Lester and Demontagnac were both denied by good defending on 40. Ian Breckin survived claims for a handball offence when the ball was squared across the box. Boden found Lester on 42 and Jack shot well, but Colgan pulled off a fine save to concede a corner. Demontagnac crossed deep, but the return was shanked out of play. Chesterfield won a free kick just outside the box on 44; ~Whing drove it in but Boden's touch took it further away from the goal.

Lee was forced into a sliced clearance after a clearance of his own put his defence under pressure. Devitt's corner was well-delivered, but a foul in the box stemmed the danger.

Halftime: Grimsby 1 Chesterfield 0. Attendance: 5648 (442 from Chesterfield.)

Akpro had a chance within a minute of the restart, but volleyed wide. Coulson's cross was deflected for a corner on 49 as Chesterfield struggled to clear their lines. Lester appeared to be pushed over in the box on 50 but a goal kick resulted.

Akpro extended their lead on 56 after Devitt brought the ball forward; the ball into the box fell to Akpro, who struck it into the roof of the net from six yards. Sinclair got onto Akpro's pass on 58 and Lee saved.

Gritton replaced Boden and Boshell replaced Niven on the hour. Chesterfield won a corner on 61 and it was played short and crossed in by Allott, but cleared.

Lester pulled a goal back on 65. Gritton held the ball up and laid it off to Demontagnac; his cross was met by the glancing head of JACK LESTER, who flicked it across the keeper and into the far corner. Gritton again provided the impetus for Lester to shoot and win a corner a minute after the goal. Demontagnac's corner was tipped away from under the bar.

Lester was booked on 68. Wright went down under a Page challenge from behind on 71 and Page was booked.

Chesterfield equalised on 74. A ball into the box looked harmless but JACK LESTER came through a host of bodies in the Mariners box and lashed the ball home. Peacock came on for Wright before the match restarted, and John Sheridan complained to stewards after a bottle was thrown onto the field of play.

Akpro broke on 78 and bore down on goal; he rounded Lee and lashed the ball into the side-netting. A terrible miss and a real let-off for Chesterfield. Peacock got a touch onto Coulson's cross but didn't get enough onto it and a blue-socked leg appeared near the post to turn it round for a corner. Bowery stayed onside and was played in by Demontagnac but Colgan was well-placed to deny him.

Whing was booked for a foul on 83. Bowery broke but had a lot of work to do to get through the defence; the bal squeezed through to Gritton but he couldn't get enough on his shot. Two claims for handball in the home box were not entertained by the referee, and Goodall looked to have conceded a penalty with a foul on Coulson, but the ref waved the home side's claims away.

Boshell and Hudson squared up to eachother on 89 and both players were booked. Breckin did well to steer Peacock away from goal as the game entered stoppage time. Allott was booked in injury time. Coulson launched a powerful shot and Tommy Lee made his customary brilliant late save to preserve a point.

    Latest Match Reports