Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 27 Mar 10 at 18:34 PM

Spireites 1 Bulls 2

Three changes were made to the side that came within an ace of victory at Burton last Saturday.Scott Boden's substitute heroics earned him a start while Goodall replaced Austin at left back. Picken replaced Boshell in the line-up but went to right-back, with Andy Whing playing in an unfamiliar central midfield role.

Hereford started the brighter, more purposeful side. Jervis's pace undid Rob Page as early as the second minute but luckily his cross was fired over the bar. A Demontagnac cross was cleared to Allott on 6 but he, too, shot over. An 8th-minute foul on the Blackpool loanee gave him a chance to shoot from a free kick five yards outside the box; his effort seemed to have too much on it, but it dipped wickedly and nearly embarrassed Bartlett in the Hereford nets.

Allott played Small in with a great pass on 15 but the forward was troubled by the presence of Jones and fired expansively over the bar.

Alan Goodall went into the book for a 20th-minute foul on Young. Jervis made an equally poor challenge on Whing two minutes later but the ref kept the top on his pen. Young got away down the right after slipping Page; Lee was on his way out when the Bulls player chipped the keeper from around 25 yards, on an angle. The ball went narrowly wide.

Manset latched onto a poor Page header and struck a shot against the crossbar from around the edge of the area, on 30. In an increasingly rare Chesterfield attack Boden shot over after being put through by Small.

The game's first corner came to Hereford on 35 after a good Pugh run through the middle of the Chesterfield half. Goodall headed the danger away. McQuilkin repeated Pugh's saunter through the heart of Chesterfield territory on 40 but shot wide at the end of it.

Halftime: 0-0. Attendance: 3593 (149 away.)

Demontagnac went down near the goal line in the first minute of the second half but no penalty was awarded. Hereford took the ball away and Pugh went on one of his afternoon constitutionals through the middle of our half; he'd reached just inside our area when Picken leaned into him and forced him over. Jervis converted the penalty but Tommy Lee came agonisingly close to making it two saves out of two.

Conlon replaced Boden on 52. Jervis forced Lee into a decent save on 53. Demontagnac took the ball in from the right touchline on 58 but shot into the side netting when a cross might have produced a greater dividend.

Hereford extended their lead on 63. Guess Who? Pugh - took the ball through the middle of the Chesterfield half and fired a low shot home from the edge of the box.

Rundle replaced Small on 71 and Chesterfield began to show a bit more going forward. Jervis picked up a yellow card for delaying a free kick on 73; when the same player blatantly kicked the ball away minutes later the referee backed away from the customary punishment, choosing the moment to have a chinwag with Rob Page instead.

Conlon's head set up a Talbot shot which was parried; it flew to Rundle at just the wrong height and his effort was scrambled away. Jervis slipped Page again and shot, but Lee was the equal of it.

Adam Rundle got past Young and had reached the goal line when he was pulled down from behind on 80. Barry Conlon kept his cool to convert the penalty and bring the Spireites within one goal of Hereford. It looked like that goal had come five minutes later when Demontagnac crossed and Conlon shot goalwards from close range, but the ball was hooked out on the line and no goal was given, nor claimed with much conviction. Five minutes stoppage time was played out in a relaxed fashion by Hereford.

    Latest Match Reports