Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 17 Oct 09 at 16:59 PM

Bulls 1 Spireites 0

Chesterfield took an unchanged starting line-up into the game against Hereford, at Edgar Street, this afternoon.

Bartlett was forced to turn away a McDermott drive for the game's first corner, in the first minute. Picken and Lee combined to deny Walker as Hereford forced a corner of their own on 3; Lester was back to effect the clearance. Walker burst into the area on 11 and Little challenged, doing enough to dispossess the Hereford man. Manset broke into the area on 13 and Little again came across, with Breckin finishing off the clearance. Marshall got behind Little on 16, though, and crossed for Walker, but Lee pulled off a fine save at the expense of a corner.

With the Spireites stifling Hereford's early pressing, but being unable to create much attacking thrust of their own, the game entered a quiet period. Chesterfield won a corner on 33 and Page won the knock-down, but Manset cleared. As the visitors came more into it Lester picked out Lowry with a fine ball but Marshall got it away; Manset made for it but Page came in with a crunching tackle that left the Frenchman in a heap.

Lee denied King on 38 with his best save of the game, so far. Marshall tried to whip the ball in and it clipped Little's hand enough to earn the home side a free kick on 41. Marshall put the ball in and Lowe headed wide from what appeared to be a free header.

Talbot was shouldered off the ball by Green on 45 and he required treatment off the field as the game entered first-half stoppage time.

Halftime: 0-0.

Lowry tried to work the opening with Lester moments after the resumption but Jack was well-marshalled and couldn't turn to get a shot away. Chesterfield failed to clear a free kick on 47 and Walker fired wide when well-set. Little worked it to Lester on 50 and he pulled it back to Perkins, whose 20-yard shot rattled the Hereford crossbar.

Rob Page received a stern telling-off for bringing Manset down on 53; Marshall's free kick was poor, and easily cleared.

Marshall went down under a lightweight challenge from Page on 57 and the referee pointed to the penalty spot. Page was booked for disputing the ruling and, although Lee went the right way, Valentine put the ball wide of the keeper and into the net, to give the home side a 1-0 lead.

McDermott saw a shot deflected into the side netting on 63, but his corner was headed away for a throw.Chesterfield made their first substitution on 66, with Lester giving way to Scott Boden. Walker was yellow-carded for handball on 67. Lowry took a corner on 69. Page challenged but received a punch, of sorts, from Valentine, who received a yellow card for lashing out at the Chesterfield man.

Phil Picken went into the referee's notebook for commenting after McDermott was penalised on 77. Breckin received treatment to a head injury after going up with Manset. Kevin Austin came on to replace the Spireites' skipper, who left the field with a bandaged head on 80.

Lowry won a corner off Valentine on 81. Page won the header back and Boden nodded it wide. Allott shot wide from distance on 83. Another Allott shot forced Bartlett into a save and Boden followed up to head home, but the goal was struck off for offside.

Bowery came on for Lowry with six minutes left. Sam Gwynne was booked for dissent on 85. Lee pulled off a decent save to keep it at 1-0 on 87 and the home side took their time with the corner. Hereford brought Sonko on for Walker on 89. Chesterfield pushed late into Hereford territory but the full-time whistle came without the visitors unable to fashion an equaliser.

    Latest Match Reports