Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 19 Sep 09 at 18:45 PM

Spireites 4 Silkmen 1

Chesterfield made two changes to the side beaten at Dagenham, bringing Donal McDermott in for the injured Talbot, while Phil Picken was preferred to Kevin Austin in defence.

A minute's applause was sustained to mark the passing of the Spireites' hugely popular office manager, Sue Green.

The Spireites got off to the best possible start, taking the lead after just three minutes. Allott found the advancing Robertson on the left; he played the ball into the path of SMALL, who raced through the offside trap to fire past the helpless Veiga from twenty yards. The home side's first corner came on 7, when Small harried Brown into an error, but Veiga gathered the flag kick as Page threatened.

Chesterfield's purposeful start caught Macc flat-footed. The midfield was comprehensively won from the start and the pressure exerted on the visitors' defence caused many errors. A McDermott cross on 14 was headed out of the keeper's hands by Brisley and the ball came to Niven, whose shot was safely held. Lester escaped from Brown's grasp and got half a yard on the defender for the first time on 21, but his shot from 20 yards flew narrowly side. Brisley pulled off a fine tackle to deny Lester just as the forward was about to shoot, on 26.

Dan Gray came on for the injured Picken on 26. Phil slipped and fell awkwardly some minutes earlier, and seemed to have hurt his ribs. The change made no difference to the pattern of the first half, though, and the Spireites extended their lead on the half hour. Neat team play presented Niven with a crossing opportunity and the ball was cleared for a corner; from this, Lowry crossed. Small got his head to it to power the ball goalwards and LESTER nipped into the six-yard box to ram the ball home.

The home side continued to dominate and went further ahead on 37. Lowry found Robertson overlapping on the left and kept pace with the move. Gregor left Brisley in his wake and turned the ball inside to Lowry, who shot cooly home from 12 yards.

Macclesfield made a pair of substitutions on 40, bringing Rooney on for Bell and Sinclair for Daniel. Given how poor the whole side seemed at that stage, it was harsh for those two to be so singled out. Lester's diving header from McDermott's cross was instinctively saved by Veiga but the keeper was powerless to prevent another goal on the stroke of half time. Small went through on to an Allott ball and made room for McDermott to run into; taking the pass, the Irishman fired home from 14 yards.

Halftime: Chesterfield 4, Macclesfield 0.

Chesterfield had taken a 4-0 halftime lead for the first time since the game against Hartlepool in 1983-4, and it was the club's first four-anything since the Leyton Orient game in 2000-1. On both occasions the Spireites didn't add to their score in the second half and, oddly, history repeated itself, although there were enough chances made to double the lead. At no time was there an air of "job done" in the Spireite play, but Macc discovered some resolve and tightened up, a bit.

Small broke through on 49 but came under pressure from the keeper and a defender as he was lining up a shot, and first-timed it narrowly wide. Robertson was fouled on 55 and got up to take the free kick himself, placing a shot over the wall with sufficient power to draw a great save out of Veiga

Tipton came perilously close to pulling a goal back on 67 when his flicked header lifted over Lee but somehow drifted across the goal and out for a goal kick.

Brown went into the book on 69 for a foul on Lester, some twenty yards out. From the free kick Small shot, and clipped the crossbar.

Macc made their last substitution on 71, swapping Wright for Sappleton, and Currie replaced the tiring McDermott two minutes later. Macc pulled a goal back on 79, when Tipton played Bencherif in on the edge of the box, and the midfielder fired home. Chesterfield retained the lion's share of possession, though, and Currie fashioned a chance for a Niven cross, which was cleared as Small was about to convert. On 83 Small got onto a threaded Allott pass and set up Lester; Jack brought the ball onto his left foot near the penalty spot but fired over and wide. Although the home side didn't add to their goal tally, the moves that created these chances were roundly applauded by an appreciative crowd.

    Latest Match Reports