Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 29 Aug 09 at 17:59 PM

Spireites 1 Shrimps 1

John Sheridan named an unchanged starting line-up for a fourth successive game, although new signing Wade Small and forward Scott Boden replaced Gritton and Bowery on the bench.

Morecambe attacked down their left from the kick-off, and Tommy Lee had to be brave to go at Jeavons' feet to save. Moss cleared at the other end to present Chesterfield with the game's first corner, but it was cleared.

Lee was forced to change direction to save on 9, after Craney's ball in met a slight deflection from Twiss's head. Chesterfield won their second corner on 13 when Niven forced Panther into an error but the ball was cleared by Artell; McDermott returned it and Roche appeared to spill the ball, but defenders were on hand to get it away.

Panther bought a foul from Breckin on 23 and the Chesterfield skipper was yellow-carded. Craney's free kick was headed out by Page as far as Wilson, and Picken threw himself at the Morecambe man's shot.

Chesterfield came close to opening the scoring on 24 when Lester found Allott, who traded passes with McDermott before shooting powerfully, causing Roche to push the ball away well. Lester shot from outside the box on the half-hour mark and it took a deflection, but Roche had the time to switch his weight and save.

Halftime: 0-0.

An even first half had some incident but was short on quality, thanks to the inability of either side to retain possession. Chesterfield began brightly and won a corner straight away when Artell headed out but this was cleared. Lowry's cross came off Adams on 51 for another corner but again, this was dealt with well enough by Morecambe's disciplined back line. On 52 Austin beat his man and crossed, only for the ball to be cleared in front of Talbot at the near post. Lowry and Talbot worked well to supply Lester but his effort was turned round the post for another corner.

Morecambe came back and Wilson twice effected dangerous crosses, but a hesitancy to get forward in numbers saw nothing come of either.

Chesterfield made a double-substitution on 65, bringing Wade Small and Paul Harsley on. Donal McDermott and Derek Niven were the ones to give way. Small made a quick impact, forcing Artell to surrender the ball before firing wide.

On 70 Jeavons came deep to carry the ball at the Chesterfield defence who were slow in closing him down, allowing him the opportunity to tee up a shot that crashed against the home side's crossbar.

Good Lester work on 72 presented Lowry with a fine chance; bursting into the area he appeared to be pulled back but got a shot off, which Roche saved.

Chesterfield took the lead on 75. Small got to the bye line and worked a cross over that came to Talbot, near the opposite corner of the area. His powerful shot cannoned off Lester and went in, Jack's involvement being sufficient to see him awarded the goal.

Three minutes later the visitors were level. An attack down our left saw Ian Breckin sliding to clear. The ball seemed to pop up off his knee and strike his hand, and a penalty was awarded, which Jeavons converted.

Panther went into the book for a two-footed tackle that might have connected with either Harsley or Lester, but stopped short of damaging either. Harsley shot wide on 81 after good work from Lowry won the ball. Lester turned and shot wide but Morecambe finished slightly the stronger, with Jeavons' deflected shot winning an 88th-minute corner. Morecambe made a time-soaking substitution on 89, bringing Curtis on for Twiss, and Sheridan elected to replace Lester with Scott Boden as the game entered its three-minute stoppage period. Some of this was lost to a Morecambe injury and the rest was played out in Chesterfield's half as a disappointing game came to a close.

Result: 1-1

Attendance: 3,210 (132 from Morecambe.)

    Latest Match Reports