Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Sat 08 Aug 09 at 17:55 PM

Gulls 2 Spireites 0

Manager John Sheridan named two first-timers in his first team, in the form of goalkeeper Mark Crossley, our oldest debutant on record, and Donal McDermott, whose promise brought him a start despite his only joining a day or so ago on loan.Alongside those were two returning players, Mark Allott and the skipper, Ian Breckin.

Chesterfield won the game's first corner on 8 when Allott came forward to shoot but saw his effort deflected. The kick was short and quickly taken but wasted, somewhat. Hargreaves headed Currie's cross away two minutes later for the visitors' second corner. Currie floated this one in and Breckin won a flick-on, but Niven's shot was wide.

With Chesterfield doing most of the pressing at this stage, McDermott and Lowry both tried their luck, without success. Allott picked out Niven and he went down under a challenge in the box, but it was judged fair; from this, the home side broke quickly and Rendell gave Torquay the lead after good work by Stevens on the Torquay left.

Good work by McDermott won a foul near the corner flag on 19 as the visitors worked to get back on level terms. Currie took the kick but Wroe cleared. Robertson fouled Talbot as he took McDermott's excellent long pass but Currie's kick to the back post lacked the attentions of the big men, and was cleared.

Torquay won their first corner on 22 as they increased possession and pressure, but Sills fouled Austin. Niven committed a clumsy foul on 25 as the frustration mounted and was spoken to by the referee. Wroe tested the referee's patience by dragging Lowry down on 28 as he looked to go forward. Niven shot powerfully on 29 and the ball looked like screwing over Beavon and going in, but it dribbled out for a corner. Talbot shot over from outside the "D" on 31.

Crossley collected from Sills at the second attempt on 35. Patient build-up in stoppage time allowed Lowry to get round the back and cross, but Mansell blocked the cross at the expense of a corner. The Gulls were down to ten men momentarily but Currie's delivery did not test Bevan.

Half time: 1-0 to Torquay.

Page headed away a Sills cross on 49 but the ball was returned; a foul on Phil Picken by Hargreaves brought the Torquay attack to a close. Crossley punched away a cross on 50 and Chesterfield broke through McDermott and Lowry, but Allott's shot went wide. Picken conceded a corner on 51 but the ball was cleared after home players slipped on the freshly-watered turf. Talbot tried to break through onto a decent Currie pass on 53 but shot weakly as his shirt was being pulled.

A cross from Talbot took a slight deflection and flicked the crossbar on 56. Carlisle's pinpoint cross on 57 called for a firm header away from Ian Breckin.

Rendell went down with a head injury on the hour after an accidental clash with Austin. Bevan's loose clearance on 63 came to Currie but the midfielder wasted the opportunity.

Jordan Bowery replaced Darren Currie on 64 as the Spireites adopted a 4-4-2 formation.

With parity in midfield numbers, Wroe and Hargreaves were winning more of the midfield battles, as the balance of play became more even. Still, Chesterfield looked the most likely to create something; Bowery made ground into the area after a pass from McDermott and shot wide from an acute angle on 67. Lowry did well to create an opening but his shot had the sting taken out of it after it hit Bowery.

Carlisle crossed to the back post on 70 and Mansell got round the back to head past Crossley to extend the Gulls' lead. The Spireites mounted a quick response and McDermott crossed; Talbot shot, but it was blocked to Lowry, whose shot was cleared off the line by the legs of the keeper.

The Gulls looked vulnerable to the ball in behind, but the redoubtable Bevan was a bulwark. McDermott took a corner and won another from it, but Martin Gritton replaced Niven on 75, before it was taken. Austin got to the corner but was judged to have fouled in the build-up.

The home side replaced Rendell with Benyon on 81. Bevan saved Talbot's header with ease but was forced into a more spectacular effort to keep out Gritton's shot after a neat turn on 83. Torquay won a corner off Picken on 84 and Chesterfield left three up as Wayne Carlisle's kick was dealt with by Crossley. McDermott shrugged off understandable tiredness to test Bevan again on 87 and a corner resulted, but Lowry's flag kick came to nothing after a foul. Bowery cut in and shot on 89 but his effort struck a Torquay man. Hodges replaced the productive Stevens on the stroke of full-time. A late Chesterfield corner went over Breckin's head as the referee brought the match to a close.

Full time: Torquay 2 Chesterfield 0

Attendance: 3966 (approx 700 from Chesterfield)


    Latest Match Reports