Skip to main content

Match Report


Posted Tue 11 Aug 09 at 21:50 PM

Iron 2 Spireites 1

John Sheridan manipulated his team to include players who had missed out on Saturday at Torquay, while putting out a strong enough side to aim for progress in the Carling Cup. In the event there were six changes to the Spireites' side as they started with a 4-4-2 formation, the most significant being a first start for Jordan Bowery.

Lee was called into action on 2, saving with his legs from Hooper after a momentarily hesitant defence let him in. Hall cut out a cross on 4 to concede the game's first corner. O'Connor's kick was easily claimed by Lee.

McDermott took the ball at the home defence on 6 and got a corner after a deflection off Byrne. The corner was aimed at Gritton but was headed clear. At the other end a second Scunthorpe corner was conceded on 7; Jones was spare at the back post but the ball was cleared; Lee dealt with the return cross in comfort.

Bowery's counter-attack won another corner off Byrne on 9 but Paul Harsley caused some concern with an injury. The corner met a Chesterfield head and was cleared off the line by Williams after goalkeeper Lillis was left groping. In identical fashion to last Saturday, though, Chesterfield were hit by a quick counter and paid a heavy price when Hooper chased down a long ball and fed Sparrow, who had time to pick his spot and give the Iron the lead after eleven minutes.

Harsley showed tenacity to win the ball on 18 but Gritton shot over from Harsley's pass. A cross towards Gritton on 22 was turned out for a corner to Chesterfield which Harsley took, but Woolford headed clear. Breckin headed on a Gray cross on 23 and Gritton flicked a header a yard or so wide. Lee was forced into a good save on 27 to deny Hayes, as Scunthorpe's excellent movement was apparent.

A moment of uncertainty on 30 in the Scunthorpe defence presented The Spireites with a fourth corner, but Harsley's kick was cleared. McDermott was causing problems and could only be stopped by Williams' foul on 31. Before the kick was taken the visitors made a substitution, bringing Phil Picken on for Dan Gray. A fine delivery set Gritton up for a header but great defending saw the ball taken off his head as he was set to connect. The Spireites were showing more spirit, now.

O'Connor shot powerfully after the hosts opened Chesterfield's defence on 37 but Lee responded wonderfully to save. Woolford came off second-best when Phil Picken won the ball fairly, but with full commitment on 40. Jones' foul on Talbot gave Chesterfield a free kick in an interesting position as half-time closed in; McDermott took a left-footed inswinger and O'Connor got the last touch, but the officials rather oddly gave what appeared to be a goal kick.

Half time: Scunthorpe 1 Chesterfield 0.

The Spireites worked the first opportunity of the second half, but Harsley shot over. Picken fouled and O'Connor put over a free kick that went straight in, but the referee blew for a foul to cut short home celebrations. O'Conner took another free kick on 53 as the referee intervened to cut out pushing in the box. Lee saved O'Connor's kick well, but the rebound came to Hayes, who finished well to extend Scunthorpe's lead. Lee scrambled well to clear a shot for a corner on 57. Hayes hit the bar on 59 as Scunthorpe enjoyed control.

Lee was at his best to prevent Hooper making it 3-0 on 63. Kevin Austin coolly cleared away from under his own bar on 65.

A free kick against Chesterfield on 67 gave the visitors the opportunity to make two substitutions; Niven replaced Harsley and Currie came on for Gritton. A quickly-taken free kick saw Talbot get the ball stuck under his feet and take the ball away from goal, but McDermott returned it and Bowery got up well to get a header in.

Talbot had caused problems since going central after the double-substitution and made a run into the box on 70, only to be brought down by Byrne. Darren Currie stepped up to fire the penalty kick straight down the middle and bring the Spireites back into it at 1-2.

Scunthorpe brought Wright on for Woolford after 73. Chesterfield applied pressure to the Scunthorpe goal and the home defending took on an air of desperation when Picken and Currie threatened on 78.

Scunthorpe made another change on 80, bringing Forte on for Thompson. The visitors continued to press and Currie drove the rebound from a McDermott corner into a crowded home penalty box. It broke, but this time Niven was deep to break up the counter and keep the pressure on, winning another corner. Currie took it and won another corner from the move. Breckin flicked this on to Hall, but Lillis stood his ground in the middle of the goal to catch the ball. McDermott came back with the ball from the keeper's clearance and saw a shot deflected for yet another corner. The kick came to Bowery, who saw his effort cleared off the line; it was thumped back and cleared off the line again, by Williams, who stayed down with an injury.

The Iron relieved the pressure with a corner of their own that Breckin headed away on 86. Togwell replaced O'Connor as the Iron sought to run the clock down. A low, drilled cross from McDermott was cleared as the referee brought the game to a close to huge cheers of relief from the home supporters.

Full time: Scunthorpe 2 Chesterfield 1

Visiting supporters: 470


    Latest Match Reports